Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Great American Solar Eclipse


Yesterday we got to witness one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  The Great American Solar Eclipse!  Our little town here in Lavonia, Ga was one of the places that actually got to experience totality! I know they hype over the last week was crazy.  While we have known for a while this eclipse was coming I don't think everyone was really in eclipse mode until about a week before.  First, school was canceled due to safety concerns.  This had parents scrambling to find glasses for their kids and themselves too.  With the news that some glasses weren't safe to use I know it had me thinking twice.  We also started thinking about our "eclipse party"!  Since we were in the path of totality we got to enjoy the view from our own backyard.  The kids were able to swim and then get out and see the sun.  It was so much fun and the build up was half of it.  I could not wait to see how dark it would get, the changes going on in temperature and all that fun.  And I have to say it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen.  The moment of totality was just incredible.  It is so hard to describe but I do see now why people follow these eclipses.   We were all scrambling the last minutes leading up to it just so pumped up and excited and then the moment hit and we were able to take off our glasses and just be in awe!   I had my camera ready to take a picture too even though I wasn't sure I would even be able to get one. I did though and even though it may not compare to a NASA picture I love it because I took it!  Last week while Suzy had her surgery I spent some time doing my eclipse research.   It was a lot of fun to be able to experience this with our family and friends too.  I know I will always remember that and I really hope that my kids will remember this too.  Cohen was all hyped up and kept saying it was the best day ever.  Kate didn't show much excitement which is typical for her.  She and Bryce had my nerves shot because they weren't as good to keep their glasses on.  I quickly turned a movie on inside for them and would call them out to see it as it changed.  With all the hype on watching the eclipse was also hype on burning your retina and how damaging it could be.  Try telling a 2 year old to not look up at the sun without his glasses and see how well he remembers that.   Bryce was so cute though when he would look at it he was say "whoa, its orange and black, or "its big".  It was just so neat to watch and we all wanted to rewind time and see it again.  Just an all around amazing experience!  Maybe we should make travel plans for 2024....
Ready to party





Dawn even made us a box projector






 Cohen got creative and made herself a headband to hold her glasses on


Cohen made sure her doll didn't miss out.  She was so excited when she found out her friend Carolina had done the same thing!










the moment we had all been waiting for! Totality!
We had read that at totality the stars would start to come out and you would be able to see 2 planets, Mars and Mercury and sure enough we did.  These pictures don't do it any justice but there they were!


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment