Thursday, August 22, 2019

AAU Junior Olympics

At the end of July Cohen and her baton team competed at the AAU Junior Olympics.  They had all been working so very hard all summer, and really long before, to perfect their routines and be ready.  All of their practice time made them so much better as twirlers and I loved that all of their hard work paid off!  Since this competition fell at the end of July (July 29-31), my doctor told me she felt it would not be a good idea for me to go.  It was so close to my due date and you never know what could happen.  This really killed me because I have never missed one of Cohen's competitions!  I can't say enough about our baton family and Mrs. Hazel because everyone just took Cohen in under their wing and took care of her the entire time.   She probably did better not having me there in all honesty because sometimes she can be too comfy with me around!  But I can never thank all of the mamas and Hazel enough for making sure she was ready, where she needed to be, and of course giving her someone to stay with.  I also can't forget including her in all the fun on their day off!   She really had a great time.  I'm so thankful for such awesome friends in Cohen's life.  This was our first year at Carolina Superstars and we have really met some wonderful families and friends.  Cohen loves all of her friends and had a fun time with them all summer.  They all grew closer and really encouraged each other! 
I can't forget our girls that Cohen has been with since the beginning...Lexey and Baylie.  These 3 have just grown up together and been together for years.  Cohen left on Sunday with Lexey and Erica and I loved getting this picture later that night of them practicing together.  Cohen really looks up to these 2!  
And last...a big big thank you to Hazel and all the mamas who sent me all of these pictures and the videos!  I couldn't be there but it almost felt like I was.  Hazel even face timed me during Cohen's performances so I did see her.  It was the next best thing to being there in person.  
These Olympic games had over 10,000 athletes in all of the sports.  Baton twirling was just one of the sports.  I know it was a neat experience for all of the girls.  I'm already excited to see what next year has in store for these hard working girls!


practice time Sunday night for these 3

Monday was team day so the girls were up early to get ready.  Here is Cohen and Lexey ready for the day!  Cohen was so proud to tell me she had done her own makeup :)


"Think Jr" team ready for their performance.  And what a performance it was!!





Gold Medal winners!

Gold Medal for "Oh So Quiet"


I got this of Cohen & Mrs. Hazel...Roomies!

Cohen & Gracie on Monday night

On Tuesday the girls had a break from competing so Emma's sweet parents took the girls to a water park for some fun.  Cohen had a water park on her summer bucket list and with this mama being big and pregnant it wasn't something we got to do.  So I was so glad when they got to go have some fun at the water park.  A fun break and checked that off her list!

On Wednesday it was the solo competition for the girls who were doing individuals.  For this particular competition/organization these girls had competed in a qualifying competition earlier in the year.  To compete in the all around title they also had to learn some new routines like multiple baton (where they had a routine that included 1, 2, and 3 baton) and parade strut.  They competed in individual events for each and then in the all around title which included solo, multiple baton and parade strut.  
Cohen & Emma before strut

Ready for Solos

Cohen won gold in the 2 baton individual event.  

Gold in parade strut 

Another gold in multiple baton!  It was her first time competing in this event!




To top off the day Cohen won the all around title in her age group.  I was so proud of her!



After the girls got back they had a celebration party at the studio.  The news had featured them before the competition and then came back and did a follow up interview with them.  So proud of all of these girls!  And thankful for these awesome coaches who poured so much time into making them better!


Cohen's interview


No comments:

Post a Comment